19 May 2009

Ceilume Tiles!



So, our two-flat has a couple ceiling issues. Up in my mom's unit, there's a drop ceiling to conceal the duct work for her air conditioning. In the basement, we have dusty, ugly exposed beams because the basement is unfinished. This is a problem because my sewing studio is down there, and dust is constantly getting knocked down onto my work surface. 

I have always been a huge fan of tin ceilings, who isn't? But everything I've ever seen available to get the effect of a vintage tin ceiling has been too expensive.
 
Enter Ceilume tiles.
My friend, Katie, gave me a tip on these, because she discovered the company will mail out free full-sized samples, and she thought she could hang a tile or two on the wall for decoration, which she can.  But they work even better in their intended capacity as incredibly inexpensive and easy to install faux tin ceiling. They are made of vinyl, but can be painted (and come in colors and a bunch of different designs from victorian to modern) , and once they're all the way up on the ceiling, I really don't think you can tell.
Plus, they are recyclable, use 75% less raw material than regular ceiling tiles, and are cheaper to ship. I don't mean to gush, but there are also some cool fire-safe features and they won't get ruined if your roof leaks. 
So, Katie, thanks for the tip on the free samples. And, yeah, I do actually intend to buy the product.
So, check them out: Ceilume

5 comments:

  1. every now and then i will go in a vintage building or home and the original ceiling tiles will be up, the work is done so well too.
    with the machinery we have now you would think that they would be less expensive but the originals think how long it took the artists to make them. i will be checking out the store and will proabably buy some too
    they need to give u a discount for advertising for them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those look amazing! I'd love to see your studio sometime... I bet it's pretty with or without ceiling tiles. Your home is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have used these tiles in my basement/home theater and they worked great! I got the free samples they offer at www.ceilume.com and not only did they send samples but they also sent a coupon good for 5% off my first order. This is a truly a great company and great product, im glad to see that they are getting some publicity through you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. do you know what the code was. I am getting ready to order 140 staford and would love the extra 5%

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you sure these are good? I got my samples and they are so thin, I worry that any wind will knock them out. I have a Panama City Beach condo and when the balcony door and front door are open at the same time, there is a wind tunnel.

    ReplyDelete